Did you know that there are approximately 3 million first dates every day around the world?
Read more fun facts about relationships and breakups below.
1. Humans are not the only species that believe in monogamy. Wolves, swans, gibbons, black vultures, albatrosses and termites are just some of those animals that find a mate for a lifetime.
2. The longer and more deliberate a courtship is, the greater the chances of a long and lasting marriage. People who have intense, whirlwind romances at the beginning of a relationship are more likely to divorce.
3. It is estimated that romantic love, which is linked with euphoria, dependence, sweaty palms and butterflies in one’s stomach, only lasts about a year. Afterwards, the relationship transitions to the “committed love” stage.
4. The apple has been a symbol of love since ancient Greece. The Celts believed that the apple represented love because it lasted so long after being picked.
5. Women experience more emotional distress right after a breakup, but they are more likely to recover fully. Men tend to move on more quickly, but often never fully recover, according to a study from Binghamton University.
6. A study by Match.com found that more than two-thirds of single men on Match.com are interested in dating a single mom.
7. Couples who are too similar to each other are less likely to have a long-lasting relationship.
8. Heartbreak is very real. It is also known as broken heart syndrome and has similar symptoms to a heart attack. Broken heart syndrome is the weakening of the heart muscles due to the unexpected death of a loved one or an unexpected breakup.
9. Men who cheat are likely to have lower IQs.
10. A flashy wedding that breaks the bank can ruin your marriage. A study by Emory University found that couples who have expensive weddings are 3.5 times more likely to get divorced than those who spent considerably less. Couples who spent less than $1,000 on their weddings were the least likely to get divorced.
11. Stalking your ex on social media following a breakup may hamper emotional recovery. The more you stay connected with their ex on social media, the harder it will be to get over the breakup.
12. People with high self-esteem tend to have longer and more successful relationships.