Today, we’re talking about how awesome your eyes are. Did you know that your eye can differentiate about 10 million different colors? Or that your eye is made up of over 2 million working parts? Incredible, right? Keep reading for some more interesting facts about your eyes.
1. An individual eye is made up of 107 million cells that are all sensitive to light.
2. To facilitate such rapid movement, your eyes contain the fastest and most active muscles in your entire body. Your eye can contract in less than 1/100th of a second.
3. Brown is the most common eye color.
4. More than 50% of your brain’s function is dedicated towards seeing.
5. On average, you blink about 15 to 20 times every single minute.
6. People can see more shades of green than any other color.
7. The human eye would have 576 megapixels if it were a digital camera.
8. The lifespan of an eyelash is about five months, while the rest of your hair can last about 2 to 4 years.
9. The eyes are your greatest informants. With 80% of everything that you learn being captured through the eye.
10. The iris of the eye contains 256 characteristics while your finger print only has 40.
11. Just 1/6 of your eyeball is visible.
12. The optic nerve has more than 1 million cells.
13. The brain is the only organ in your body that is more complex than the eye.
14. The retina contains 7 million con cells that allow your eyes to detect colour and 100 million rods cells allow you to see in the dark.
15. The cone cells detect red or blue and green. The Brain combines these colours to show you an array of other colors.
16. So why do you have two eyes? It increases the depth of perception. Your brain compares images from each eye to determine distance and other details.
17. Your eye captures light just like a camera and sends it to the brain for “development.”
18. When you focus on an object, the image on your retina is upside down and backwards. Your brain is what corrects and reorients the image.
Celebrate yourself, Sis! You are fearfully and wonderfully made. And don’t let anyone tell you anything different.
Vimbai E. is a writer, journalist, ghostwriter and the founder of The Weight She Carries. With hundreds of articles publishing online, in print and for broadcast, her love of language and storytelling shines through every piece of writing that bears her name.